Monday 1 July 2013

New Adult Monday: Saving Wishes by G J Walker-Smith

Published by: G. J. Walker-Smith
Release date:
8th June 2013
Series:
Wishes Series #1
I got it from:
Netgalley
Goodreads summary:

For Charli Blake, being seventeen is a tough gig.

She's been branded a troublemaker, her reputation is in tatters and she's stuck in Pipers Cove, a speck of a town on the coast of Tasmania.

Thankfully, it's temporary. Her lifelong dream of travelling the world is just months away from becoming reality. All she has to do is ride out the last few months of high school, which is easier said than done thanks to a trio of mean girls known as The Beautifuls.

When Adam Décarie arrives in town, all the way from New York, life takes an unexpected turn. His arrival sets off a chain of events that alters her life forever, convincing her of one thing. Fate brought him to her.

Saving Wishes is the story of a girl who doesn't quite fit the life she's living, and the boy who helps her realise why.


My review:
This is a book about fate, and I think you need to believe in it at least a little bit to really enjoy it. Luckily, I do believe, and I did enjoy - a lot!

I see a bit of my younger self in Charli, though I wasn't quite as impulsive as her. I did give up a potential career, change uni course and move half-way across the country to be with my true love. I would have moved half-way around the world if that's what it took. 18 years later we're still together, still in love and still happy. I got my happy ever after. Unfortunately I don't yet know whether Charli got hers, because this is book one of a series.

Charli is an utterly charming protagonist. We should all spend some time in La-La-Land. It's good for the soul. She can be evil sometimes, but is there a 17 year-old girl on earth who isn't? She's also brave (though not always), smart, funny, I already mentioned impulsive, and she sees the world in a wonderful way. She takes photos of time. Charli explains this much better than I ever could, so you'll just have to read the book if you want to get it.

Adam  is a guy who finds what he wasn't looking for. He travels to Tasmania because of fate. He doesn't even really realise it until he gets here. He goes on a whim, something he's never done before. Until that point, his life was ordered and completely under control. Charli turns him upside-down the moment they meet. In turn, his utter belief and trust in Charli amplifies everything she is.

Charli is too big for the small town she lives in. She's just biding time until she can finish school, escape and follow her dreams. She loses sight of those dreams for a while though when she falls in love with Adam. Adam is only in town for two months, before he goes back to America and starts law school. Neither of them planned on falling for someone that winter, and as much as Charli tries to resist her feelings and Adam tries to bury his head in the sand about the future, eventually they're going to have to face up to it...

I took a chance on Saving Wishes - there was no summary on Netgalley, and I didn't look for one anywhere else. You could say fate chose for me, and I'm so glad I did. This is an amazing self-published first novel, and I can't wait to read the next book in the series! 

No comments:

Post a Comment