Wednesday 20 January 2016

Review: This Raging Light

This Raging Light This Raging Light by Estelle Laure
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This Raging Light is a strange animal. It's one of those books that isn't about the ending, but about the journey. It's not so much a story, as an episode, and what's important is the people. Most definitely character-led, something that doesn't always appeal to me, but when it's done in such a splendid way as this, I absolutely approve. It reminds me a little of Maggie Stiefvater's writing (high praise indeed if you know me) - there's something there in the poetry of the words, in their realness and the way they worm inside you. It's a tricky creature to review though. Lucille has been dealt a hard hand, and This Raging Light is about how she learns to deal with it. It's about family and friends and love and neighbours and finding out you're not alone as you thought you were, and learning to lean on people, and raging and crying and getting back up again to rage some more. It's a slice of life, a piece of strength, the clarity of a ringing bell, a jumble of words and feels.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment